Saturday, April 6, 2013

Shwebo, Burma



This is a small town that I did a day trip to called Shwebo from Mandalay, it is only 3 and a half hours by bus.  It is along the Irrawaddy river and not on the tourist trail.  I went there with a friend who I had met in Bangkok.  The town really is not much expect another place to experience life in rural Burma.  While walking around taking photos, she and I happened upon these train tracks.  I saw so much life down there that I said we should check it out.  This was the best idea on the trip, the people were really friendly encouraging us to take photos of their children.  The cast of characters is long, these places feel like little worlds unto themselves. 




 One of the best meals of the trip came along when I saw a bunch of pots in a ramshackle little building with dirt floors selling really good looking food, freshly prepared.  Finding good restaurants in rural Burma is not easy because so many people eat at home.  I was taking photos and then asked for some food, in her generosity the proprietor started to bring all of the things from her arsenal to the table.  Sour soup with a sorrel like taste.  Chickpeas in broth, young bamboo shoots, sauteed greens, and a little chicken cooked with curry and more oil. The meal was great and we over payed and thanked the family for there generosity.  The family got such a kick out of us sitting down and enjoying there meal, as much as we had eating it.  Great food, and great atmosphere. 












No comments:

Post a Comment