Saturday, April 6, 2013

Naba Burma: The train back to Mandalay

 
After my delay along the Irrawaddy I had to high tail it back to Mandalay.  I must have done something right because I was able to catch the most sketchy bus of my life and travel directly west from Kata to Naba which is where the train connection is.  So with no shower and a clean shave and a big bottle of talcum powder I waited with everyone else.  On other lines of the Burmese rail system there are options about which carriages to travel on.  This line is about maximizing the amount of cargo people and otherwise that can be hauled from the North to Mandalay.  I expected the train to take 24 hours but again along this trip there was a delay and at 4:30 am we stopped and had to wait for a new engine to take us.  This meant another I don't know how many hours.  Build in lots of time for travel around the country because somethings are accessible and others trying at times.  The one regret that I have is that I did not take a picture of the carriage when it was really full.  Full with people, and their belongings, not belongings in the western sense but products to sell at the market.  Leaves used for religious ceremonies which I can't believe sold for much when they arrived crushed by the countless bodies because they were sitting in the aisle as well as the lady.  It was a very uncomfortable and very hot ride.  Thankfully there was a sense of comradery and people shared food, water and pillows.  In the late afternoon we arrived back in Mandalay after about 36 hours. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment