Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pangandaran, Indonesia

 Panandaran is a very small fishing village on the west side of the island of Java.  I accidentally ended up here because of a misunderstanding with the receptionist in Bandung.  I was supposed to go to a place with a volcano and explore in the mountains.  I instead ended up going to the beach on an eight hour minibus.   I arrived at night in a torrential rainstorm.  So high on the street that it it reached my shins.  In the morning I realized that my comfy and quiet hostel was located practically next to the beach.  For the next couple of days I enjoyed the beach which I rarely do.  The nature in this area is really nice, but most of the coast line has also be destroyed because of the gigantic tsunami that hit it's shores in 2006.  If you find yourself in need a beach this one is great, and if you are a beginner on a surfboard the waves are really good. 



Fishing by dragging a massive net from the beach.




I happened upon to groups of college students all going through a sort of hazing process where the upper class men and woman were yelling at the new recruits and making them crawl through mud.

Magnificent coast



The makings of a peanut sauce, the key is palm sugar


The peanut sauce added to tofu, green beans, and a type of sticky rice that is all over Indonesia, plus shrimp crackers that were purple.


Fried fish with sweet chili sauce.

1 comment:

  1. that's cool. did you go to green canyon? the beautiful river in pangandaran?

    ReplyDelete